Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nail Polish Toxins!

I can't recall if I have mentioned the toxins that are in nail polish yet so if I haven't here it is........YES even nail polish has toxins in it! 
There are a few brands that are non-toxic and I have 3 favorite: Zoya, Butter and Deborah Lippmann. I haven't thrown away all my toxic nail polishes but I refuse to buy another and haven't in well over a year. I now only buy non toxic ones from my 3 favorite brands :)


My NON-Toxic Collection

The 3 main toxins that are in nail polish are as follows: Toluene, Formaldehyde and Dibutyl Phthalate.

Here are a few facts about these common toxic nail polish ingredients:    

Toluene
Toluene is a human reproductive and developmental toxin. It may affect the nervous system with symptoms like tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, and memory loss. It is thought to cause liver damage and skin irritation. In high levels it may affect the kidneys. Toluene has been linked to birth defects in laboratory animals.

Formaldehyde
Formaldehyde is a carcinogen and a common indoor air pollutant because its resins are used in many construction materials. Formaldehyde has caused cancer in the nose and throats of lab animals. Inhaling the fumes can result in watery eyes, headache, burning in the throat, and labored breathing.

Dibutyl Phthalate
Phthalates are used to soften plastic, and are known to affect hormone function. Studies have linked phthalates to early puberty in girls and low sperm counts in men. Environmental groups claim phthalate exposure may contribute to the rising number of uterine problems in women and testicular cancer in men. It could also be one of the contributing factors to a rise in infertility in both sexes. Repeated and heavy exposure to dibutyl phthalate may cause nausea and/or vomiting, tearing of the eyes, dizziness, and headache. Long-term exposures may cause damage to kidneys and the liver. Pregnant women must consider that dibutyl phthalate may harm the developing fetus and the male testes.


Even when I go to the nail salon I bring my own polish, with my own base and top coat. I generally try not to even go to the nail salon these days, especially since I'm pregnant, the fumes in those place are redick!! I'm lucky to have found a manicurist that will come to my house. She actually cost pretty much the same as going to the nail salon so it works out. This way besides dealing with all the fumes and toxins, I don't have to worry about whose nasty feet were scrubbed with that foot scrubby before mine ect... GROSS!

Check out my 3 favorite non-toxic brands for more info:





Peace and Love,

Jamie xx

3 comments:

  1. thanks for this!!! so OPI and ESSIE are on the toxic list??

    ReplyDelete
  2. OPI and Essie recently eliminated Formaldihyde, DP and Toluene from their products so to be safe always check ingredients. :)
    Here is another good article on the subject
    http://voices.yahoo.com/best-toxic-free-nail-polish-brands-816445.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks!! appreciate the info!! some of my fav colors are by those brands will check on ingredients... or may need to replace with new formula of those which do not contain those toxins!

    ReplyDelete