Monday, May 9, 2011

Dairy Dairy quite contrary!





OK so if you agreed you would start buying some organic food (for those of you who aren't already) I would say to buy organic dairy, even over fruits and vegetables. Meat would be second on the list.


Non organic milk is loaded with added hormones, chemicals and antibiotics. Not to mention all of the other negatives on dairy alone which I will not get in to. I know most Americans and I'm sure yourself are not willing to give it up so with that being said at least do your body a favor and drink ORGANIC milk. Studies show that organic milk contains higher levels of Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A and E and antioxidants.


DO NOT BUY HORIZON ORGANIC MILK!!! Here's why....
*Note: Got this info out of one of my school books, do your own research if you like!
UNFORTUNATELY, even organic dairies can be controversial. Horizon Organic Dairy, the largest US supplier of organic milk, is owned by Dean Foods, the largest processor and distributor of milk in the US. Horizon has been accused of not enforcing the standards necessary to be labeled organic. 
On genuine organic dairy farms, cows are raised on open pastures, fed grass and not given any extra hormones. Experts say that the cows at Horizon are raised in pens and fed mostly protein and grains. They have been accused of manipulating and abusing the organic labeling criteria, misrepresenting their product and misleading health conscious consumers into buying it..
Although the milk from the Horizon farms may not be the best quality, it is still better than the milk produced at conventional dairy factories, with thousands of cows pumped up with antibiotics and confined in small spaces.
Organic milk cost up to twice as much as regular milk, but I promise you it is worth it!!!


I personally don't drink milk anymore but my husband does. I was buying Horizon but not anymore...I will be buying Organic Valley from here on out.


I drink almond milk as a dairy milk alternative. Almond Breeze original unsweetened to be exact. I sometimes add a packet of stevia to it to make it a bit sweetener and for a real sweet treat a tablespoon of raw cacao powder, mix in the blender and m m good!
I'm actually having a cup of hot herbal tea right now and as I was writing all this milkness I decided to add a splash of almond milk to my tea and it gave it a whole new taste, yummy...makes it seem a little more filling or something.


Anyhoo...BUY ORGANIC MILK YOU MILK DRINKERS!! But not Horizon! ; )




Peace and Love,


Jamie xx



No comments:

Post a Comment