First let me go over the benefits of Tea Tree Oil (which I got from www.organicfacts.net)
The health benefits of Tea Tree Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like anti bacterial, anti microbial, anti septic, anti viral, balsamic, cicatrisant, expectorant, fungicide, insecticide, stimulant and sudorific.
The All-Cure name given to this oil is not a bit exaggerated. The Tea Tree oil can be used as a cure for almost all sorts of tropical infections and diseases. You name it and it has the cure for that disease. It is invariably found in almost all the households of Australia, particularly those having small children. The magical healing and disinfectant properties make it a wonder-drug. It also boosts up immunity.
No! That was not all! It has numerous aces up its sleeves which can be covered under following general medicinal properties it possesses.
- Anti Bacterial: It is said that wherever Mother Nature gave the diseases, she gave the cures there itself. The activity of microbes, bacteria, virus and fungi are at their peaks in the Tropics and hence most of the medicinal plants are found there too. Tea Tree is one such plant. It can cure some of the ugliest bacterial infections of the Tropics. Wounds, which are most prone to bacterial infections in this region, can be effectively cured and protected using this oil. Although this oil is seldom taken orally, but if so, in mild concentrations, can cure internal bacterial infections too, such as those in colon, stomach, intestines, excretory system and urinary system. It can also be used in treatment of Tuberculosis.
- Anti Microbial: Microbes prefer to keep safe distance from this oil, since it is an effective anti microbial. It can kill and keep away certain microbes (protozoa) which are responsible for causing Tropical fevers, malaria etc.
- Anti Septic: Open wounds are most susceptible to infection by bacteria and fungi and may result in septic or tetanus. Thus they must be protected well in advance. For this, Tea Tree Oil can be a wise choice as it is an excellent anti septic. It can be applied directly on the wounds, boils, sores, cuts and certain eruptions, as well as insect bites and stings, to protect them from infections. It is as good as any anti biotic, but without its adverse side effects.
- Anti Viral: Viral infections are very hazardous and re-appearing, since virus can survive under most intolerable conditions. They can bear unimaginable heat, cold and even poison, as they develop a protective shell called “Cyst” around them. Some viruses are intelligent enough to develop a new cyst each time they are activated, like the Common Cold Virus, to duck our immune system. They never die a natural death and can live dormant (neither live, nor dead) for even hundreds of thousands of years. They can be killed only if their cyst is ruptured using some compound or they are subjected to extreme heat which is beyond their tolerance. The Tea Tree Oil helps rupture this cyst in some viruses and can give protection against them. It also helps cure viral infections like common cold, influenza, mumps, measles, pox etc.
- Balsamic: The Essential Oil of Tea Tree has balsamic properties, that is, it boosts health. It promotes absorption of nutrients from food and gives protection from diseases too, thus proving beneficial for total health.
- Cicatrisant: The Cicatrisant property of this essential oil makes it heal wounds quicker and protect them from infections, as well as help neutralization of the scar marks and after spots left by eruptions, boils, pox, acne etc.
- Expectorant: Those who are suffering from cough and cold, congestion, bronchitis and other troubles associated with cold, are sure to get relief using this Tea Tree Essential Oil. It gives relief from cough, cold, bronchitis and congestion.
- Fungicide: The Tea Tree Essential Oil is as effective against fungal infections as it is against any bacterial or microbial infections. It inhibits fungal growth and cures diseases like dermatitis, athlete’s foot etc.
- Insecticide: It is obvious that an essential oil that is so deadly for those adamant and hardy bacteria and viruses, will be effective against insects too. Tea Tree Oil is an efficient insect deterrent and insect killer. It does not let parasites and other insects like mosquitoes, fleas, lice, flies etc. come near a person who has rubbed some of this oil on his body. It kills internal insects and worms too, such as intestinal worms like round worm and tape worm and others like hook worms.
- Stimulant: This essential oil has stimulating effects on hormones secretions, circulations etc. but more prominently on immune system. It boosts up immunity and acts as a shield against infections.
- Sudorific: Besides infections, another cause of diseases is accumulation of toxins in the body. These toxins are either generated by the body itself, as a by-product of various reactions, or get inside the body somehow. Our body too, has certain mechanisms to throw away these toxins. One of them is perspiration or sweating. It has many advantages. It removes toxins, moistens the skin, open pores on skin and keeps the body cool. Tea Tree Essential Oil, being a Sudorific, increases sweating and promotes removal of toxins like uric acid. It also helps remove excess water and salts from the body.
- Other Benefits: Gives relief from muscular pain, aches, sprains,
You get the idea!
As for skin goes and using it as an anti-bacterial:
I get really oily throughout the day and I recently got these at Sephora which I LOVE!
They are $8
I also have tea tree oil mixed with water in a mini travel size spray bottle that throughout the day I can spray on my face and blot off with a tissue. Cleans face without removing make-up. A quick fresh me up!
You just put 1-2 drops in the mini travel size spray bottle and add purified water, shake before each use!
I use Jason Tea Tree Oil, it's 100% organic, you can even get this at Walgreens, it will be next to all the face washes and stuff.
Now I plan on making a spray with it for my sheets and who knows what else, I'm gonna be spraying this stuff all over the place LOL. To make the sheet spray you will use a 10-12 ounce bottle of purified water and add 10 drops of the tea tree oil, shake before each use!
I started doing the tea tree oil face spray after I read a book by Kate Somerville - Complexion Perfection!: Your Ultimate Guide to Beautiful Skin by Hollywood's Leading Skin Health Expert. It's a great book and I highly recommend it. Kate Somerville has her own skin care line and skin care spas. A lot of celebrities go to her and love her products (Amazingly enough I have never tried any of her products)
Here is link to her book, it's good. She similar to Scott-Vincent Borba believe you have to work from the inside out to achieve 'Complexion Perfection'